Back to all Project Ideas / Celebrate Success
If you’ve recently completed a great project at your school, show it off to your school community in an open house. And if you’ve already taken huge strides toward becoming a green school, apply to be recognized as a Green Ribbon School!
Invite the community to come by and see the green features you’ve worked so hard to implement and maintain. Train students and staff ahead of time to lead tours of the building for parents, elected officials and local media. Work with students to produce a video that shows off the green features and put it up on the school’s website. And, if you’re ready, apply to be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools program.
- Invite students and staff to learn about the green features of the school and encourage them to lead tours for visitors.
- Talk with the principal and facilities staff about a good strategy for providing recognition for the school’s progress in implementing green schools strategies.
- If a community tour is a good option, chart a course through your building that highlights all the school’s green features. If it’s a new building, work with the design team to come up with talking points for each feature. Promote the event through avenues such as community bulletin boards at the grocery store, library and community center.
- Invite a local leader such as the school’s principal or a supportive school board member to serve as grand marshal for a celebratory event. Don’t forget to invite local dignitaries – and the media!
- Look through the guidance for schools to apply for the Green Ribbon Schools Award, and decide if your school is ready to fill out an application. Find nearby schools who have achieved the recognition, and learn their strategies and tips.
- The U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition award honors a handful of high achieving healthy, sustainable schools to highlight their exemplary practices to other schools.
- Learn how previous award winning Green Ribbon Schools achieved high standards of excellence with examples on the Department of Education’s web site.
- Sign up for a Green Strides Webinar to learn more about the free programs available to all schools from federal agencies.